International Regulations for Avoiding Collisions at Sea or IRPCS. The rules are specified in great detail in the regulations and the serious student is encouraged to seek the definitive document. Certain individuals are legally required to carry or possess a copy of the rules, such as the owners and/or operators of certain vessels. These legal requirements vary by jurisdiction. Consult the appropriate maritime authorities for each jurisdiction. Any individual subject to such requirements should obtain a complete, official copy from a government or official source. However, the rules are summarized below.
Part A - General
Part B - Steering and Sailing Rules
Section I - Conduct of Vessels in any Condition of Visibility
- Rule 4 : Application
- Rule 5 : Look-out
- Rule 6 : Safe Speed
- Rule 7 : Risk of Collision
- Rule 8 : Action to Avoid Collision
- Rule 9 : Narrow Channels
- Rule 10 : Traffic Separation Schemes
Section II - Conduct of Vessels in Sight of One Another
- Rule 11 : Application
- Rule 12 : Sailing Vessels
- Rule 13 : Overtaking
- Rule 14 : Head-on Situation
- Rule 15 : Crossing Situation
- Rule 16 : Action by Give-way Vessel
- Rule 17 : Action by Stand-on Vessel
- Rule 18 : Responsibilities Between Vessels
Section III - Conduct of Vessels in Restricted Visibility
Rule 20 : Application
(a) Rules in this part shall be complied with in all weathers.
(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.
(c) The lights prescribed by these rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other circumstances when it is deemed necessary.
(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.
(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Regulations.
- Rule 21 : Definitions
- Rule 22 : Visibility of Lights
- Rule 23 : power driven Vessels Underway
- Rule 24 : Towing and Pushing
- Rule 25 : Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars
- Rule 26 : Fishing Vessels
- Rule 27 : Vessels Not Under Command or Restricted in Their Ability to Maneuver
- Rule 28 : Vessels Constrained by their Draft
- Rule 29 : Pilot Vessels
- Rule 30 : Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground
- Rule 31 : Seaplanes
Part D - Sound and Light Signals
- Rule 32 : Definitions
- Rule 33 : Equipment for Sound Signals
- Rule 34 : Maneuvering and Warning Signals
- Rule 35 : Sound Signals in Restricted Visibility
- Rule 36 : Signals to Attract Attention
- Rule 37 : Distress Signals
Part E - Exemptions
- Rule 38 : Exemptions